Wednesday 7 October 2009

Woodlouse - Circle Animation October 2009

Circle 2D Animation

Assigned by Andy Wyatt, our animation tutor, we were to practice 2D hand drawing by using a circle and morph it into whatever shape, animal, character etc. we could think. For my part the circle reminded me of how some animals wrap themselves into a ball for protection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse




The animal I chose belongs to the Arthropod, category of Crustaceans called the Woodlouse. It is covered with a scale, armour plated body similar to the armadilo. The Woodlouse is a small invertabrate that feeds on the forest floor. When threatened, it curls itself up into a ball. I like these type of Arthropods also they date back millions of years ago and gave evolved from prehistory. They were large in size untill they suddenly got small due to new climate conditions during the forming of the earth.




I first started out with small circle sketches of how the Woodlouse would appear in the 12 frame animation. At first I was thinking of drawing an almost alien appearance but it is not enought for 12 frames so a normal Woodlouse drawing would do. I looked on the we and typed in Woodlouse and drew down the animal's appearance.

During the actual drawing of 12 sheets of paper, I drew each step of the Woodlouse unravelling itself of its ball like form, legs and antenae tucked in its body and spreading out. I used water colour for its inital colour last of all. Small strips at first before completely covering the animation.



I had the intial idea of drawing a alien or simiam like woodlouse but it proved to much. I also intended to have the Woodlouse fully unravell itself from the ball being more straight. However I am pleased of this basic test.

1 comment:

  1. I personaly like the scale armour detail of the Woodlouse. I am also a lover of Arthropods, crustaceans. Adding colour was a good idea, seeing how most of my sketches do not have that much colouring.

    ReplyDelete